Monday, May 7, 2012

Camera-ready Full coverage Foundation

Full coverage makeup usually applies to those that want to achieve a perfectly flawless face. This is desirable for photo shoots, appearing on camera, or on stage where everything must be defined. When I did makeup for photo shoots, my goal was to create a canvass that did not require Photoshop. The challenge was to avoid caking on the products.

This tutorial has helped me create a flawless look without having to deal with the cakiness. In this post I will explain every step; why I chose the particular product, why I applied it that way, and all the possible questions you might have in your mind. This is my personal method of applying full coverage makeup, I am not making a generalization. We all have different styles. I am simply sharing mine.

First of all, let me clarify that this is NOT MEANT TO BE WORN FOR EVERY DAY. Perhaps, you can wear this for a special occasion or event. This is not a natural look.

Here are the simple steps:
  • Apply a good quality primer. Whether you have oily or dry skin, primers allow the makeup to stay put, so it lasts longer and it appears better. Pores and fine lines will be filled creating a smooth surface which allows the foundation to glide and avoid creasing. You can try Benefit's Porefessional or Laura Mercier for a higher quality primer.
  • Highlight Concealing. I am a fan of highlight concealing because I lack angles on my face. This method allows me to recreate or to create whatever kind of facial features I want to have. It's all about illusion! Some may use a lighter shade of foundation, some may use cream, but I find that using Hard Candy's Glamouflage, a full coverage, heavy duty concealer, I avoid packing too much product on the face. It has the necessary coverage, minus the extra thickness.
  • Strategic application of foundation. I know it sounds so fancy, but basically, I apply my actual foundation on the outside areas of my face just to blend in with the concealer. It creates instant dimension on the face without even having to contour just yet! This is also great at preventing packing too much product on the face. The funny thing is, it looks like you put a lot, but in fact, you're not!
  • Spot concealing. If you are graced with perfect skin then bless you. But for me, I have been struggling with acne scars, but I guess that's better than actual acne that I battled with the last few months. Since the foundation I used isn't full, full coverage, I wanted to make sure no scar would peep through, so I reinforced it with concealer and individually set them with powder so as to avoid... yes, what you thought.
  • Setting the foundation. Allow the makeup to "cook" on your face first before setting everything. This will help everything look more put together and less fake. I suggest a translucent powder that does not disturb the shade of the products you applied, so as not to render the highlight concealing pointless. When you set with powder, try to use a powder puff for a denser application or simply pat on or stipple the powder with a very dense brush so it occupies any nook and cranny on the face.
  • Defined contouring. Some looks don't require heavy contouring, but personally, I want angles on my face, I find that it's more interesting to look at. Blessed with a round flat face, I am best friends with contouring. I might just overwhelm you with my method. But applying a cream base prior to the contour powder creates a more long lasting look and ironic to say, a more natural appearance to the contour. This is of course, optional. You don't have to do it!
  • More than one blush. I've come to learn that mixing blushes is the best way for me to achieve a more gradient, natural effect for the blush. It looks a lot more attractive in my opinion. Try to use a darker shade on the hollows of the cheeks, just above the contour, then a lighter shade near the apples of the cheeks, just to give an illusion of higher cheekbones.
  • Setting spray. This is what makes everything come together. Setting sprays are designed to melt the makeup onto the skin and adheres it, so it last a lot longer without transferring or creasing. Honestly, this is what made the difference.
Those are the things that I wanted to share with you. For a more visual tutorial ont his subject, just check out my video here:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment